Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Wrath of Wikipedia

I took another step into modernity and signed up as a Wikipedia editor. My tenure may be shortlived.

It was prompted by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

... which includes a list of terms used in scamming.
One term was "Modalities".
I added the comment that this may reflect roots in an older French version of the scam. (Modalités in French just means ways or methods.)

At the end was a list of books, including Scamorama, with such a nice comment:

"The emphasis there and in the book is on the amusing, as some folks retaliate against the scammers. Quite a lot of it is hilarious."

Gee! (No I *didn't* write that, but I'm certainly grateful. Also glad that not all of it is thought hilarious - I did try to be serious here and there.)

The other books in the list were accompanied by ISBN numbers, but not mine.
So I added one. Silly me! This resulted in the complete removal of all mention of the book.
I have received a "caution" and whoever did it is apparently 'away'.
Oh well. Adieu Wikipedia...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got it right on "modalities". It pays to remember the Frogs and the Brits were each tramping round the nether parts of Africa at the same time pillaging, raping and plundering to their hearts content. Little wonder the Nigerians et al have developed such criminal behaviour. I did a deal of p, r & p while filling a number of judicial posts in Sierra Leone in the 19th century, having abandoned my wife in the Falkland Islands and having had my position of Chief Justice of Van Diemen's Land revoked by Queen Victoria.

PannoScamma said...

I'm gonna get what is coming to me,
no surprises,
no deals with
daddy-o,